OMTEC 2019 preview: Trends to watch, in-booth demos and more
Each year, the Orthopaedic Manufacturing & Technology Exposition and Conference (OMTEC) gives orthopedic professionals a perfect opportunity to connect with those driving the future of orthopedics.
For Lowell, it’s a chance to dive deep into orthopedic medical device trends, as well as the issues and challenges facing our customers and how we can work to solve them.
At this year’s event, June 11-13 in Chicago, we have a full agenda planned of trends to watch, in-booth demos and a presentation on automating data analysis to improve accuracy and time to market.
Trends we’re watching
As we walk the show floor, attend sessions and connect with other attendees, we’ll be watching for the latest information on three med device trends:
- The FDA’s change to ISO 13485 for device regulation: We’re interested to discuss how this change will impact quality teams, as they ensure they’re in compliance with new expectations.
- Updates on the Medical Device Single Audit Program (MDSAP): This single audit program could simplify the international compliance audit process, but will also mean there needs to be consensus across organizational requirements. We’ll be watching for conversations weighing the pros and cons of this approach, and hearing what other manufacturers think.
- Use of laser engineered net shaping (LENS) with titanium: First there was additive manufacturing, and how there’s LENS to produce near-net shape geometries. This process opens up the possibility of buying near-net shape plate blanks and doing final machining to size to complete the part. We’re interested to hear more about how LENS might impact the overall cost of the final product.
In-booth metrology matching demos
Metrology matching, also called inspection matching, is one of the most important processes that OEMs and suppliers can put in place to align inspection systems and ensure consistent product results – and it’s easier than most companies think.
We’ll be hosting hands-on metrology matching demos at our booth, #748, every day of the show. Attendees will have a chance to collect data on sample parts, record the data and then run statistical analysis and diagnosis. Stop by at the top of the hour any day of the show to take part in the demo.
If you can’t make the demo or want more information on metrology matching, make sure to pick up a copy of our white paper, Metrology matching: Strengthening OEM-supplier relationships by improving design collaboration. Inside, you’ll find three benefits of metrology matching, gain a better understanding of how metrology matching works, and learn how OEMs can work with suppliers to implement this practice.
Thursday presentation on data automation
Automation is a proven method to improve manufacturing time, accuracy and results, but data validation hasn’t always caught up to this trend. Lowell’s Edward Jaeck is presenting an 11:15 a.m. Thursday session about automating continuous data analysis, and the success our company found by creating a custom Minitab 18 macro.
Takeaways from the session will be:
- The best tasks to automate
- How R&D teams use automation to record data for compliance
- How automation improves productivity and quality, while reducing time to market
Make sure to add this session, Engineers: Apply Automation to Increase Quality, Speed to Market, to your agenda for the expo.
Want to connect at OMTEC?
We’re excited to connect with you during OMTEC. If you’d like to set up an appointment to talk with our engineering and quality experts during the show, email email@example.com to schedule a time. Or, feel free to simply stop by booth 748 or find us during the welcome reception at Joe’s Live on June 11.